Fickle Financial Headlines Brighten
Published Friday, September 13, 2019 at: 7:00 AM EDT
Retail sales, which drive 70% of U.S. economic growth, rose four-tenths of 1% in August, the U.S. Census Bureau said on Friday morning.
Suddenly headlines changed, growing less grim than they've been lately.
Friday's retail report quelled growing worries reflected in recent headlines in the financial press about the inversion of the yield curve, the 11-month plunge in manufacturing sector activity, the trade-war with China, and a global economic slowdown hurting the U.S. economy.
Friday's report of an increase of 0.4% in total retail sales in August over July was driven by a jump in auto sales.
Total retail sales in August were 4.1% higher than in August 2018. For the three-month period from June through August 2019, retail sales were up 3.7% from the same period a year ago.
The Standard & Poor's 500 dropped fractionally on Friday but was up slightly from last week, closing less than 1% off its all-time record high, set in July.
This article was written by a veteran financial journalist based on data compiled and analyzed by independent economist, Fritz Meyer. While these are sources we believe to be reliable, the information is not intended to be used as financial or tax advice without consulting a professional about your personal situation. Tax laws are subject to change. Indices are unmanaged and not available for direct investment. Investments with higher return potential carry greater risk for loss. No one can predict the future of the stock market or any investment, and past performance is never a guarantee of your future results.
- Good And Bad Financial News: Weekly Investment Update
- A Financial And Tax Planning Strategy For This Week's Stock Market Plunge
- Having Trouble Tuning Out The Bad Financial Economic News?
- A Key Signal Of Strength At A Pivotal Moment In Economic History
- Despite Strong Jobs Report, Stocks Declined Last Week
- The Fed Risks A Recession To End Inflation, As Expected
- Stocks Snap Four-Week Win Streak
- Stocks Have Soared Lately, But What Should You Expect Near And Long-Term?
- Investing In An Economy Beset By Multiple Anomalies
- Despite Bad Economic News, Stocks Rose 4% In The Week Ended July 29, 2022
- Amid Bad Data Releases, Leading Economists Predict No Recession
- Good News: Real Retail Sales Dropped Fractionally In The Past Year
- Financial Economic News Analysis
- The Good News Is All This Bad News
- Four Signs A Recession Could Be Short And Shallow
- Odds Of A Soft Landing Shrunk After Friday's News
- Bad Inflation Surprise Sends Stocks Down Sharply
- It Could Be A Long, Hot Summer For Investors
- What A Difference A Week Makes
- Amid Stock Market Turmoil, +2.3% Growth Projected In 2022
- Staying On Track Amid The Ukraine And Inflation Crises
- For Investors, 2022 Is Turning Into A Test
- Is The Economy Brightening? Or Is The Federal Reserve Slamming The Door On Growth
- Financial Economic News In Perspective